Born and bred in the sunny tropical island of Singapore, The GPS Gal has forgotten when & exactly how she caught the travel bug. But she can trace back her online presence to more than a decade ago in 2005. Then, she kept a simple online journal of her one-and-only overseas summer study stint in Seoul, so that family and friends could be kept updated of daily happenings.
小编 The GPS Gal （抱歉，想不到如何把名字翻译地最好，所以还是不翻了😅）是名土生土长的新加坡女生。已经不记得从何时何地开始爱旅行了。但她还记得在网上初次留下笔迹的那一刻。2005年6月，是她第一次正式独自出走到异地，在韩国首尔当了约3个月的穷学生，修读韩语。😀为了方便与众多家人朋友同时联系，她决定把在异地的生活点滴记录在网上日记里。
4 years later, in September 2009, because of the simple reason to document personal travel experiences for future easy reference, she started travel blogging. There was neither an intention to “make it big”, nor use it as an income-generating avenue. Reward comes in many forms to The GPS Gal, and monetary form was certainly not at the top of her mind. In fact, when she receives compliments or positive feedback from travel enthusiasts around the world like YOU who find her posts helpful in their travel planning, that’s when she finds it rewarding & more motivated to write to improve her writing skills.
4年后，由于想把个人旅游体验记录下来，以便日后方便查寻，她在2009年9月成立了一个简单的旅游部落格。她从没想过要以经营生意的方式管理部落格来赚大钱，或是要成为网络红人。对 The GPS Gal 而言，奖励可以有很多形式，而酬金并非她最终的目标。其实，她觉得最大的奖励来自于读者们的鼓励、赞许，甚至感谢，因为这反而能激励她继续分享旅游经验，把旅游贴文写得更精彩。
It is through accomplishment that man makes his contribution and contribution is life’s greatest reward.
– John Portman
Previously blogging under the moniker “Travelpenchant“, she was itching to do something different, probably due to the “7-year itch (七年之痒)”. [the blog was 7 years 5 months old when the thought to re-brand came about in February 2017] So, one of the changes for the blog is to re-brand herself as The GPS Gal. 🙂 Why? Because “GPS” = the initials of her real name, and she is a gal!~ (Haha I hope you already know by now :P)
成立部落格的头7年，她使用的笔名是 “Travelpenchant”，就是对旅游钟情的意思。或许是七年之痒吧，在2017年2月，她决定易名为 The GPS Gal。为什么？大家应该都晓得“GPS”是全球定位系统的英文缩写吧？刚好，这也是小编原名的英文缩写。既然她是女生，就叫 The GPS Gal 咯！😄
To a certain extent, she is grateful to her parents for having foresight in giving her this name, because it seems befitting a gal who loves to travel. After all, nowadays, who doesn’t rely on GPS in one way or another when navigating their way around in foreign land? 😉
Here’re 10 little-known facts about The GPS Gal:
以下是10个关于 The GPS Gal 鲜为人知的小秘密（现在写出来就不是秘密了😄）：
1. Her favourite months for leisure travelling seem to be June (7 personal overseas trips), & followed by May (6 personal overseas trips).
2. On the other hand, she has never travelled abroad in February. 1 exception was a day trip to Johor Bahru (JB) in February 2006, but not counted as going to JB is like going to Sentosa or Pulau Ubin!
3. Top things that attract her to a destination: mind-blowing natural scenery, UNESCO Heritage Sites, wildlife & yummylicious food (of course! She’s a true blue Singaporean).
3. 4个最能吸引小编到该处探访的理由：撩人的自然风景，世界教科文组织文化遗产，野生动物以及美食 （小编不愧是道地的新加坡人！）。
4. She has never been on backpacker travel (& doesn’t think she will ever go on one in future).
5. She has never stayed in a hostel/dorm as well. The closest back-to-basics accommodation she ever stayed in was a memorable overnight experience in a caravan at the Camping Jungfrau Holiday Park (Lauterbrunnen in the picturesque Swiss Alps).
5. 小编也从未住过背包宿舍。最简朴的一次住宿体验应该是在瑞士座落在阿尔卑斯山脉一条壮观的贯通谷中的小镇 – 劳特布龙嫩里。那次她与同伴在小镇里的假日营，租了一台大篷车留宿一晚，是个难忘的体验。😊
6. Other than her own homeland Singapore, Korea is the other country where The GPS Gal has spent the longest time in (17 weeks to be exact, as of September 2017). Although Malaysia is Singapore’s closest neighbour, she has not spent so much time there as compared to the Land of the Morning Calm!
7. Although she has travelled abroad to experience all 4 different seasons, she regrets that she has never seen actual snow falling right in front of her eyes. 😦 Ironically, the only snow she ever saw were not during winter!
8. Often, she is stumped by the question of where her favourite destination is, because there is no single favourite destination haha. & NO, please stop thinking Korea is THE place just cos she’s been there 5x & stayed the longest. Destinations she loves (up to now – September 2017) include Taiwan, Switzerland, Tasmania, USA & Canada, all of which were memorable holidays. She has no idea when she’d be able to return to some of these destinations though…
8. 她常常不知如何回答“最爱的景点”这一道问题，因为她有太多喜爱的地方了。😅 虽然她在韩国逗留过的时间最久，又造访了5次，但请不要再说韩国肯定是她的最爱。截至2017年9月，小编对这些地点：台湾、瑞士、塔斯马尼亚、美国以及加拿大，至今都还念念不忘。不知道几时能再造访这些地点啊。。。
9. She avoids direct contact with animals in her own homeland, but squeals with delight when she gets up close with wildlife abroad. E.g. hugging lamb & koala, letting wild fairy penguins smell her shoes, chasing after dolphins and whales out at sea.
10. She couldn’t understand the joys of travelling alone in the past. But now, she is increasingly in love with solo travelling. as she feels the benefits are far more than its drawbacks.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. – Albert Einstein
Below is a summary (with relevant links) of the overseas trips she has written about:
Seoul, South Korea首尔，韩国
Penang, Malaysia 槟城，马来西亚
Taipei, Taiwan 台北，台湾
Eastern USA & Canada 美国东部及加拿大
Hong Kong 香港
Johor Bahru, Malaysia柔佛新山，马来西亚
Penang, Malaysia 槟城，马来西亚
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 胡志明市，越南
Johor Bahru, Malaysia 柔佛新山，马来西亚
Kuching, Malaysia 古晋，马来西亚
The GPS Gal hopes that sharing her navigations around the world through this blogging platform will help other fellow travellers in their travel planning. Feel free to leave a comment here so that she can get to know you as well! 🙂
The GPS Gal 希望通过分享自己旅行的点点滴滴，可以让想旅行的朋友更快地规划及安排行程，甚至吸引大家到较冷门的景点探访。有什么意见或想法，请在这里留言，让小编也能认识你吧! 🙂